We are in the process of transitioning from our “sticks and bricks” lifestyle to our full time RVing lifestyle. Maybe, you are doing the same. I’ve compiled a list of basic things you’ll have to take care of before hitting the road. I hope it’s helpful to you.
- Jobs- How will you earn an income while traveling?
- Insurance- You will need auto insurance, full-timer RV insurance, and health insurance.
- House- Now is the time to decide if you will rent out your home, sell it, or keep it maintained.
- Buy your rig and vehicle
- Make a general travel plan. (This can be altered along the way)
- Downsize- Sell, donate, store, take with you. These are your options for all those belongings. (Details here.)
- Pets- Are they coming along? Or, will you rehome them?
- How long will you be gone?
- How will you receive mail?
- How will you educate your children?
Of course, this is a very basic list. I plan to elaborate on each topic in future posts. But, this is a good jumping off point if you are overwhelmed with all the questions of “how are we going to make this work?” It helps me to have a basic outline to start. Then, I can start getting into the nitty gritty details later. So, get a pen and paper and just jot down a few notes for each step. I’ll be adding links to other posts of all those details soon.